Cambridge and District Citizens Advice Bureau are working with Citizens Advice Rural Cambridgeshire, CHS Group, Cambridge Re-Use, Ferry Project & CCORRN to deliver the new Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme (CLAS)
What is the Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme?
If you live in Cambridgeshire the scheme provides information, advice and one off practical support and assistance in times of exceptional pressure (subject to eligibility).
Applicants to the Scheme must have lived in Cambridgeshire for at least six months unless they have fled to the area for their own safety.
To apply to the Scheme you must have no savings and receive one of the following means tested benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
If you are working, your total household must be below the HMRC low income threshold (£16,105 for 2017/18)
Before making a grant award we will complete a comprehensive assessment of need. If a CLAS award is appropriate this will be one or more of:
- Recycled white goods and furniture
- New white goods (by exception only if a recycled good cannot be sourced)
- Decorating vouchers
- Supermarket vouchers (food and clothes – only in emergencies)
How can I access CLAS?
If you live in East Cambridgeshire, Fenland or Huntingdonshire area please contact:
Citizens Advice Rural Cambs Adviceline Service
0344 245 1292
Monday – Friday 9.30am to 3.30pm
For professional referrals to Citizens Advice Rural Cambs
- Professionals (and clients) can call the advice line (0344 245 1292 Monday – Friday 9.30am to 3.30am) – professionals must have the client with them to give consent.
- Depending on urgency and appointment availability, they will be given an appointment or invited to a drop in.
NB: Professionals should ensure that their client is aware they will to be required to:
- Complete an initial assessment.
- Provide proof of income/benefits to ensure they meet the eligibility criteria.
- This information must be supplied before an award is granted.
- Clients should be encouraged to bring documents with them.