Why has my Universal Credit been declined? I am an EU citizen.

In order to qualify for Universal Credit as an EU citizen, you need to show you have a right to reside and that you are habitually resident.

There are different ways you can prove your right to reside, for example, because of things like your work or your family. The easiest way to prove your right to reside is showing you have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and that you have

  • Settled status
  • Pre-settled status and another right to reside – if you don’t have another right to reside it will be harder to get benefits

You may need to pass the Habitual Residence Test. This is a test to see if you have a right to reside, that the UK is your main home and that you intend to stay in the UK. There are different pieces of evidence you can use to prove you are habitually resident, such as:

  • Your travel ticket or boarding pass when you came to the UK
  • Your wage slips or tax documents such as a P45 or P60
  • A copy of your tenancy agreement in the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man
  • A letter or email from your doctor or dentist
  • A letter or email from your child’s school
  • Records of membership payments to a local club – for example, a gym membership

If your UC claim is rejected because you failed the Habitual Residence Test, you have options. Speak to a Citizens Advice Adviser to get help.

Share this Help/Advice

If you are unable to find the help/advice that you require in the above article(s) then the next quickest way to get help is by filling in the following Advice form. By taking the time to enter all the information it will help us to help you quicker than if you just call us.

Please check the areas where we can offer support and read the Client Agreement between you and Citizens Advice Rural Cambs before contacting us for help/advice, thank you.

    Please note that we are only able to offer support to people who live in the coloured area indicated in the map below. If you live outside this area please visit the National Citizens Advice website for help, thank you.

    CARC coverage map

    About You

    Date of Birth (required)

    Using your Information

    To comply with the Data Protection Act (1998) we must ask for your permission before we record, store, share and process your data. These details may include personal and sensitive information.

    Therefore we would be grateful if you could read and tick the permissions you are happy to provide to us to allow us to improve, monitor and evaluate our services

    What are you worried about?

    Details of this issue

    Details of this issue

    Details of this issue

    Details of this issue

    Are you:

    Details of this issue

    Details of this issue

    Details of this issue

    Details of this issue

    If you have a tenancy:

    Housing benefit:


    Details of this issue

    Details of this issue

    Please enter other other other other other problems here, not

    How can we help?

    Follow up feedback

    We want to make sure the service you receive meets your needs. To help us understand this and improve our service, Citizens Advice may want to contact you at a later date to ask for your feedback. We will only share the information that is absolutely necessary.

    If so, can we contact you by:

    Legal Protection

    Please note that we aim to respond within 3 working days.

    If you have a simple query you can contact us via Chat.

    Note this is only available when our staff are not all busy responding to requests for help submitted via forms or over the telephone.

    If it is available you will see a chat link in the bottom corner of the website.

    If you have a simple query but are unable to contact us via Chat (if it is available you will see a chat link in the bottom corner of the website) then please consider using the national Citizens Advice Chat facility.

    This is open from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm: click here to Chat with them.

    If you need urgent help please call our Adviceline. Please note that our advisers are very busy, so if you are able to submit an advice form it would help us to offer the best possible service to all our customers.

    Our Adviceline service is open from 9:30 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon, Monday to Friday.

    Call 0808 278 7807 (free)